Yemen | United Nations overturns Trump’s decision

(United Nations) The United States should “reverse” its recent decision to classify the Houthis as “terrorists”, except to see a mass famine that has not been seen in Yemen in nearly 40 years, including the Council. Said fiercely on Thursday. Security Officers Many senior UN officials.


Philip rater
France Media Agency

“What will stop it?” The announcement of the decision, which came into effect on 19 January, was “confirmed by the British Assistant Secretary-General of the United Nations for Humanitarian Affairs, British Mark Lovelock, considering that an exemption for NGO access to humanitarian aid was promised.” Washington will not limit the risk of widespread famine.

Donald Trump’s decision by the outgoing Republican administration to nominate the Houthis as “terrorists” on Sunday, a measure that would begin on the eve of the Democratic presidential inauguration, was welcomed by the Saudi fighting these Yemeni rebels is .

On the other hand, he was severely criticized by the European Union, non-governmental organizations and Democratic lawmakers, who asked Job Biden to reverse the decision as soon as he took office.

Political “barriers”

In addition to blocking humanitarian aid, the US decision would hamper the process of political dialogue to resolve the conflict, UN officials warned during the Security Council video conference.

It is the first time that the United Nations, generally cautious in its statements about the United States, the organization’s largest financial contributor, has so bluntly and strongly criticized a decision by the outgoing US administration.

READ  Credit Suisse apologizes for blackmail law in chairman's party Credit Suisse

Prior to the Security Council, the United Nations envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffith, also insisted on the British being “strongly allied” with Mark Lovelock’s position, according to which the decision would contribute to the famine in Yemen and therefore humanize it Must be canceled as soon as possible for reasons ”.

“We are afraid that (America’s decision) will slow down our work to bring the parties together,” said the envoy, who maintains regular contact with Howie’s.

Mark Yawock stressed that now the most important priority in Yemen is to prevent mass famines. “2021 predicts 16 million people will go hungry.”

If implemented, the US decision endangers the distribution of humanitarian aid as opposed to Houthi officials, tax administration, use of the banking system, payment or contact with medical personnel. Purchase of food and fuel.

Mark Lovelock’s position was also shared by American David Beasli, the World Food Program’s (Palm) boss, Nobel Peace Prize, 2020, who corrected his prepared speech talking about the American decision. “Holocaust”.

” Death Penalty ”

“What do you think will happen to the five million people currently classified as emergencies? They will move forward in famine situations,” he warned. “We are now fighting against a designation (which) is going to be disastrous. It would be a death sentence for literally thousands if not millions of innocent people in Yemen, “said David Beasley.

Pam’s boss said, “This designation should be reissued and explicitly revoked.”

The UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, “certainly” supports this request of the United States to withdraw its decision about the Houthis, his spokesman Stephen Dujarric said during his daily press talk.

READ  NHS chiefs threaten third wave of Christmas coronavirus rules 'may need to be changed in a few days'

Mark Lovelock also made an urgent appeal for donations for humanitarian aid in Yemen.

“In 2020, we received $ 1.7 billion, which is half of our needs and less than half of what we received a year ago,” he said. The Gulf countries “gave very little last year”.

“The operation helps 13.5 million people every month. Today, we are only helping over 9 million. Mark Lokok said that in 2021, the Human Response Plan, to be released in February, is estimated to be “about $ 3.4 billion” and that “we request donors to make generous promises and release funds early.” .

During the council meeting, several countries including Russia, Mexico, Niger and the United Kingdom condemned the US decision, with some announcing it.

The United States, through the voice of its Deputy Ambassador Richard Mills, remembers being the largest donor of humanitarian aid and assured that the US Treasury would announce a waiver on January 19 to limit the impact of the US decision. .

You May Also Like

About the Author: Forrest Morton

Organizer. Zombie aficionado. Wannabe reader. Passionate writer. Twitter lover. Music scholar. Web expert.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *