The cuts came after the UN’s $ 2.42 billion fund appeal fell by about 50% this week.
“The closing countdown for closure will have to be much wider cuts in Yemen at a time when the country is currently facing the increasing impact of the virus outbreak on people who are poorly malnourished and equipped to deal with,” Lise Grande said. The head of the UN Humanitarian Coordination Office told CNN in a phone call from Sanaa on Wednesday, the capital of the split nation.
“In 189 of the country’s 369 hospitals, general health services begin to close within three weeks. Water and sanitation services are closed in three weeks, including 3 million children in three weeks. Nutrition support for 2.5 million malnourished hungry children will begin to close. eight to 10 weeks, “he warned.
The UN promised on Tuesday this week $ 1.35 billion of $ 2.42 billion. “The worst case scenario we’re facing now is that virus death could exceed the combined wage of war, illness, and hunger in the past five years. [in Yemen]Grande told CNN.
According to the Armed Conflict and Event Data Project, over 112,000 people were killed in five years in Yemen’s civil war – there are 12,690 civilians among the dead.
Estimates of the number of people who died from illness and malnutrition in the country have changed drastically. However, the UN and other aid agencies provide humanitarian aid to 10 million Yemen. A cholera epidemic thinks the UN has already been infected by 110,000 people this year.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres added on Tuesday that four out of five Yemen are facing “one of the highest death wages in the world” from Covid-19, saying “he needs life-saving help”. The country has a negligible capacity to test coronavirus, but medical aid organizations also believe that the scale of infections can be large.
Health services for women giving birth in 150 UN-supported hospitals this week were closed in the first wave of cuts after the financing conference.
Yemen’s five-year civil war attracted Houthi rebels against the internationally recognized government backed by the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Earlier this year, Emiratis removed his armies from the conflict, but continues to support the exile government in Saudi Arabia. Meanwhile, Riyadh continued to support and finance tribal militias, and the air force had a punishing effect on the ground.
Much of the lack of new financing has been accused of failure associated with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Kuwait emerging with a combined pledge of about $ 1.5 billion in previous years. This year, the UAE and Kuwait have not provided any funding to UN efforts, and Saudi Arabia will be allocated 500 million dollars and 300 million dollars specifically for the UN.
Saudi Arabia wants to get out of the swamp since the end of last year. The war undermined support for Saudi Arabia in Washington, where the renewed arms supply from the U.S. to the Kingdom was only possible as a result of the Trump administration’s use of emergency forces to overcome the block of arms exports to Saudi Arabia imposed by Congress. .
Some diplomats believe that the interruption in funding the UN by the Gulf countries may partly be an attempt to force Jews into peace negotiations.
Aid to areas under Houthi control was often directed and manipulated by the rebel administration in Sanaa. The UN’s World Food Program has often complained about Houthis’s food diversification, and the US has funded the program to push development.
U.S. support for the $ 225 million WFP has returned only recently, after Houthis agreed to stop harassment of aid workers and received a wide range of “taxes” for aid coming to the area under their control.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE say they want to continue helping Yemen to help, but insist that this should not be directed to Houthi war efforts. It appears that the government is trying to find ways to continue funding aid operations at Emirates.
“The UAE has made no effort to support countries affected by Covid-19 in cooperation with international organizations, where UAE assistance is $ 135 million from early March to the end of May.” international cooperation minister said in a statement to CNN.
“The UAE Red Crescent continues to work in Yemen to lend a helping hand to our Yemeni brothers, and we deeply regret the loss of two staff members killed by terrorists in March. However, this is our mission and humanitarian mission,” added Hashimy.
However, while it is unclear how this “task” can be carried out for UN officials, “our operations are almost collapsing,” as the senior UN official said.