Top News

Boston Red Sox acknowledged racist incidents at Fenway Park and supports former outfielder Torii Hunter

Boston Red Sox says he apologizes to former Minnesota Twins outfielder Torii Hunter, who said he was exposed to racist abuse while playing in Boston or the city’s famous Fenway Park.

Hunter, who won five times the All Star and nine times the Golden Glove winner, told ESPN last week, “The word N in Boston is 100 times.” . “

Hunter said he did not negotiate any trading clauses in his contracts while playing professional baseball and that he did not have to go to Boston.

“The experience of Torii Hunter is real,” says Red Sox. “If you suspect that you have never heard of it, take it from us. Last year, there were 7 reported incidents at Fenway Park, where fans used racial slurs. These are just the things we know.

Hunter is not the first professional athlete to complain about racial abuse in Boston. Baltimore Orioles outfielder Adam Jones said USA Today in 2017 racially abused and peanuts thrown at him while playing in Boston. Celtics officer Marcus Smart says The Unndefeated from ESPNThe platform of the network that covers race, sports and cultural intersections is called n-word in the city.

Red Sox has a troubled past when it comes to racing. Become the last integrated Major League Baseball team 195912 years after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier with Brooklyn Dodgers.

However, the team has been trying to combat this narrative in recent years. Yawkey Way, an iconic street named after the late Red Sox owner who resisted integration, was renamed in 2017 due to Yawkey’s racist heritage.

Hunter and Jones posted on Twitter to support Red Sox’s Wednesday release.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close