According to the University of Michigan, the University of Michigan will stop hosting one of the 2020 presidential debates this fall.
The university is scheduled to host the second of three debates between President Trump and possible Democratic candidate Joe Biden on October 15.
“The U-M is taking action due to concerns of both candidates bringing their campaigns, media and supporters to Ann Arbor and the campus during the outbreak,” he said. Detroit Free Press.
The chaotic political climate can also be a factor for the university’s decision.
“The decision to withdraw was made to prevent thousands of reporters, protesters, and other participants from landing in Ann Arbor amid the coronavirus pandemic,” he said. CBS News.
University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said they had no information to share on the situation of the debate Monday night.
Last week, the Trump campaign announced that they want to add another presidential debate to three previously scheduled meetings.
The president said that he asked his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani to hold a fourth negotiation among the candidates.
“We want fair discussions. We want them quicker and we want a bigger program. We do not want Trump’s campaign manager, Brad Parscale, against football games that compete for viewers.
“It needs to see as many Americans as possible, the sharp differences between President Trump’s achievements and leadership, and Joe Biden’s failed record and sleep,” Parscale continued.
The Biden campaign rejected the idea of having four discussions and said they would follow the commission’s decisions on timing and who will lead the contests.
“We will not continue the roller coaster of the ever-changing Trump campaign in discussions and we will not be bothered by their demands,” said Biden’s campaign assistant manager, Kate Bedingfield, to Fox.
Michigan is a major battleground for the 2020 presidential elections with Democrats and Republicans, both competing for the state’s 16 election votes.