He hid the money in a tax haven. More than 300 politicians from around the world, as well as stars and criminals, have been implicated in the financial scandal of the “Pandora Papers”..
Their names appear in a survey published Sunday, October 3, by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ). The result of the work of more than 600 journalists in 117 countries, the survey lists 14,000 offshore companies. They are based in Belize, the British Virgin Islands, or Panama, and were created with the help of the reputed Panamanian law firm Alcogal to conceal money from around 15,000 clients since 1996, specifically for tax evasion purposes.
sequel after ad
Many current leaders are involved. The survey thus highlights the gap between some politicians’ anti-corruption speeches and their use of tax havens.
- Lady Babi, Czech Prime Minister. The investigation reveals that politician and billionaire Lady Babi put $22 million in front companies that were used to acquire Château Bigaud in the Alpes-Maritimes and Casa Bigaud, a luxury real estate complex in Mougins. This purchase, which took place before he became prime minister, was not mentioned in the declaration of his assets.
Dubai, the new paradise for tax evaders
- King Abdullah of Jordan. Since coming to power in 1999, King has acquired 14 luxury properties in the United States and the United Kingdom, thanks to a network of companies based in tax havens such as the Virgin Islands. He bought three ocean-view villas in Malibu, California, and properties in London and Ascot (UK) for $106 million. His lawyers respond that he has resorted to offshore companies for reasons of safety and discretion.
- blair couple. Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his wife Cheri acquired an office building in 2017 by purchasing a company in the Virgin Islands that owned the premises. The transaction saved him nearly $400,000 in taxes.
Dominic Strauss-Kahno. The former French minister has given companies through a Moroccan company several million dollars in consulting fees exempt from taxes.
Shakira. According to “El Pais”, the Colombian singer is mentioned in three companies registered in the British Virgin Islands: Light Productions Limited, Light Tours Limited and Titania Management Inc. He is accused of evading taxes worth $14.5 million. Euro. Star’s agents argue that it is not about tax evasion.
Julio Iglesias. The Spanish singer owns at least 20 companies in the British Virgin Islands. They were used to buy a private jet as well as several luxury villas in Indian Creek, the billionaire’s island in Miami. According to “El Pais”, his value is estimated at 96 million euros.
sequel after ad
Also read “Dubai Papers”: First sentence in France for tax evasion
Rafael Amato. The mafia boss who inspired the movie “Gomorra” also used a shell company to buy land in Spain. Linked to several murders, he is serving a sentence of twenty years in prison.
- Uhuru Kenyatta, President of Kenya. President Uhuru Kenyatta made the fight against corruption and transparency in public life a hallmark of his speech. But he and six members of his family, including his mother, a brother and two sisters, have at least $30 million (26 million euros) on multiple offshore companies. While the anti-corruption figure Kenyan President has a secret foundation in Panama which has more than $30 million.
- Imran Khan, Prime Minister of Pakistan. Imran Khan was elected head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption program in the summer of 2018, following the impeachment of Nawaz Sharif, swayed by the “Panama Papers” revelations, another ICIJ investigation into offshore funds. According to the union, his family members and his government have millions of dollars in offshore accounts.
- Montenegros President Milo Jukanovic. A Swiss trust company created two trusts in the British Virgin Islands in 2021. One, called the Victoria Trust, for the benefit of Milo Jukanovic. The second, the CapeCastle Trust, for the benefit of his son Blao. His sister, Anna Kolarevic, has already appeared in “Panama Papers” in 2016.
International arrest warrants against the founders of Mossack Fonseca, a firm at the heart of the Panama Papers
- Relatives of the President of Azerbaijan. Relatives of Ilham Alive – regularly the target of bribery allegations – have executed opaque real estate deals in the UK, including the purchase of an office building in the name of their 11-year-old son, Haider, for $45 million, reports is bbc.
- And also… President of Ecuador guillermo lassomilf german model Claudia Schiffer, Former FC Barcelona Coach Pep Guardiola (For an account in Andorra), Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti, Three former presidents of Panama and at least 46 Russian oligarchs.
Take advantage of the €1 offer for 3 months with Google
By choosing this promotional subscription route, you accept the deposit of analytics cookies by Google.
In 2016, the publication of the “Panama Papers” caused a global shock wave, notably leading to the resignation of the Prime Minister of Iceland, Sigmundur David Gunnlogsson, then Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
Organizer. Zombie aficionado. Wannabe reader. Passionate writer. Twitter lover. Music scholar. Web expert.