Stockport is being released from Greater Manchester’s additional local lockdown measures.
MP for Hazel Grove William Wragg confirmed to the Manchester Evening New that the borough will no longer be subject to the extra regulations which have applied to the region for the past month.
The government is yet to confirm when the change will come into effect.
It means people living in the borough will once again be allowed to socialise in groups of up to two households indoors.
They will also be able to stay overnight at somebody else’s home – but must try to social distance.
The relaxation means they can also book close contact services such as facials and brow or eyelash treatments.
Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter
You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here
Bowling alleys roller rinks, soft play centres and casinos will also be allowed to reopen.
Restrictions are also set to be removed in Trafford – following on from the easing of measures in Wigan earlier this week.
Mr Wragg said: “I welcome this development.
“I think it was the right decision. I was pleased to work with the leader of the council. Even though we are different political parties, we have cooperated, and data has been shared, and this decision reflects the data which shows much reduced rates of infection in Stockport.
“I want to pay tribute to everyone working to bring that reduction about, and to the residents of Stockport for following the guidance.
“We can go back to a greater degree of freedom, while keeping the guidance in mind.”
The latest available Covid-19 infection rate figures show that Stockport has the lowest rate after Wigan – which was released for additional measures on Wednesday – and cases are continuing to drop.
Read more of today’s stories here
There were 37 cases recorded there in the week ending August 24, a reduction of 12 week-on-week
Political leaders in Stockport had been calling on the government to take the borough out of local lockdown.
Earlier this week, Stockport council leader Elise Wilson told the Greater Manchester coronavirus press conference that reason the borough’s rates were falling was down to ‘the hard work of the residents of Stockport’.
She said that because infection rates are now within acceptable government levels, the borough should be released from restrictions.
Yesterday the council requested, on behalf of the residents of Stockport, that government consider the lifting of local restrictions.
Earlier this week Mr Wragg told the M.E.N that the impact on relationships, friendships and families had been one of his main concerns, and he felt it was important to get some sense of ‘relative normality’ back, in light of the data about falling infection rates.
Stockport MP Navendu Mishra called for a more cautious approach, and described the test and trace system as an ‘unmitigated disaster’.
While Denton and Reddish MP Andrew Gwynne said decisions which should solely be scientifically evidence-based and not political decisions, and pledged to watch the infection rate data closely ahead of school’s reopening next week.