One more coronavirus death has been confirmed in Wales, Public Health Wales have confirmed.
Saturday also saw 27 new cases of coronavirus reported in Wales which were recorded at five out of the country’s six health boards. It means there have now been 17,543 cases of the virus.
The death toll since the outbreak began now stands at 1,587. The latest figures also follow a week where no deaths were reported over three days – August 10, August 13 and August 14.
There were no new deaths reported by PHW on 13 occasions in July (July 6, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27 and 28) and four times previously this month on August 3, 9, 10 and 13.
However this doesn’t necessarily mean no-one died with the virus on those specific dates as it can take several days for a death to be logged officially.
So-called “true” death figures published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), which include deaths in all places and when coronavirus is only suspected, found that 2,513 had died with coronavirus in Wales up to July 31. That was an increase of 10 on the previous week.
Where the new cases of Covid-19 were reported on Saturday
Four new cases of coronavirus were recorded in Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, six were recorded at Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, two were recorded at Cwm Taf Morganng University Health Board, two were recorded at Hywel Dda University Health Board and one was recorded at Powys Teaching Health Board.
There were 12 cases reported at Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board.
Breaking these down into local authorities means that both Gwynedd and Wrexham recorded four new cases each.
Caerphilly reported three while Flintshire, Vale of Glamorgan, Rhondda Cynon Taf and Carmarthenshire all recorded two new cases and Newport, Torfaen, Conwy and Powys each recorded one.
Despite testing capacity standing at more than 15,000 each day in Wales, 5,733 tests took place on Thursday, August 13. However, the Welsh Government said this additional unused capacity would prove useful should Wales see any local spikes in cases.
The total number of tests done now stands at 471,988. The number of people who have been tested in total in Wales is 282,905 with 265,362 testing negative.
The next changes to lockdown in Wales will take place on August 22, when the intention is to allow for four households to join together to form an extended bubble as well as allowing a meal following a wedding, civil partnership or funeral will be allowed for up to 30 people indoors if social distancing can be maintained.
Dr Christopher Williams, from Public Health Wales, said the agency supports the Welsh Government’s decision to allow up to four households to form one single bubble on August 22.
He said: “Public Health Wales supports the Welsh Government decision that from August 22, and providing conditions remain stable, up to four households will be able to join together to form a single extended household, and that a meal following a wedding, civil partnership or funeral will be allowed for up to 30 people indoors providing social distancing can be maintained.
“We also welcome the amendments to regulations making it obligatory for hospitality businesses and other settings to collect contact details of customers from next week. This information is essential for Wales’ Test, Trace, Protect strategy for testing the general public and preventing the spread of coronavirus.”
Organizer. Zombie aficionado. Wannabe reader. Passionate writer. Twitter lover. Music scholar. Web expert.