(WASHINGTON) The United States and the United Kingdom, along with their G7 allies and the United Nations, on Friday accused Tehran of being responsible for a deadly attack on an oil tanker in the Arabian Sea, publishing photos of stranded drones. For the US military, in Iran.
“All available evidence clearly points to Iran,” the G7’s major powers said in a joint statement, condemning the “deliberate and targeted attack” “without justification”.
“Iran’s behavior, as well as its support for relay forces and armed non-state actors, threatens international peace and security,” stressed the foreign ministers of the United States, United Kingdom. United, France, Germany, Italy, Canada and Japan with Josep Borrell, Head of European Diplomacy.
Washington and its European allies at the UN Security Council repeated the same allegations at a closed-door meeting in New York, British ambassador Barbara Woodward told reporters.
“The UK has informed the Council of the evidence we have,” “and the evidence is compelling: the UK knows Iran is responsible for this attack,” she said.
The Security Council will meet on Monday morning for a public debate on “maritime security” after the attack.
29 July, mercer street, an oil tanker operated by a company owned by an Israeli billionaire, was the target of an attack in Oman that resulted in the deaths of a British security guard and a Romanian crew member.
Iran denies, threatens retaliation
The United States, the United Kingdom and Israel very quickly pointed the finger at Iran, which denied any involvement amid recurring tensions, attacks, and serial sabotage in the region’s waters.
On Friday, the US Army’s Central Military Command (CentCom) released the results of its investigation in support of the allegations.
According to its statement, two of the stranded drones first missed their target, before a third, “laden with explosives for military use”, crashed down. mercer street.
US experts were able to “recover several pieces of this third drone” and “concluded, based on the evidence”, that it was “manufactured in Iran”, he said, posting multiple photos. Centcom also believes that the “distance between the Iranian coast and the site” is in line with the extent of previous drone strikes attributed to Tehran.
Until last week, US diplomacy chief Antony Blinken had promised a “collective response”, without specifying whether it would take the form of sanctions or military retaliation. The Hebrew state also said it was working on a response, and called for strong action from the international community.
But for now, despite intense diplomatic exchanges, these threats are yet to materialize.
In a new telephone conversation on Friday, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and his Israeli counterpart Benny Gantz “condemned Iran’s aggression that undermines freedom of navigation and discussed next steps”, thus reporting to the Pentagon. limited himself.
At the United Nations, the British ambassador assured that the “door to diplomacy and dialogue” would remain “open”. “But if Iran decides not to take this path, we will hold it accountable and face the consequences,” he warned.
At the end of the Security Council meeting, Tehran again “unequivocally rejected” these “baseless attacks”, and warned that Iran would not hesitate to “defend itself” in the event of a “couragement” by its rivals. Will do
Organizer. Zombie aficionado. Wannabe reader. Passionate writer. Twitter lover. Music scholar. Web expert.