Strict application of sanctions and a campaign to make the population more vigilant: Cuba has decided to implement new measures to combat the rise in cases of coronovirus with record figures in recent times.
According to the daily Tribuna de la Habana, “the management of the country has strengthened measures aimed at controlling the current epidemiological situation, health promotion and education functions and concrete decisions to be adopted by bodies and the national health system.” has announced.”
Police patrolling will be done to isolate the isolated areas and to fine those who do not wear masks or respect the measures for secession.
The country of 11.2 million inhabitants had regained epidemic control over its territory, with a few dozen cases per day, but figures have begun to rise again since the beginning of the year, with a daily record of over 1,000 cases in the past week. with .
Health Minister Jose Angel Miranda said, “Since the last week of January, the epidemic has developed with more than 5,000 confirmed cases per week, which has increased transmission in those areas (where the disease was controlled in Cuba).”
For the end of the year many tourists and Cuban-Americans are the main reasons for the rebound in cases of arrivals and opening of borders, but they are now scattered throughout the region.
When the country suffers from a severe food shortage, forcing Cubans to put long queues in front of supermarkets for food every day, strict control of the entire population is impossible to enforce.
In areas under quarantine, authorities typically establish a local food delivery system.
According to officials, most of the cases are in Havana, where 2.1 million residents live and new, even stricter measures will be announced in relation to the displacement of people. The capital has been in curfew since January at 9:00 pm.
“We must increase control in the neighborhood (of Havana), so that we can wage war against the coronovirus,” said Luis Antonio Torres Iribar, president of the city’s defense council.
In the streets of the capital, residents on Wednesday showed resignation due to the robustness of the measures announced.
Forcing the 57-year-old building keeper to stay at home, Carlos Dominguez commented, “Confirmation is not pleasant at all. But, unfortunately it has to be so.”
67-year-old plastic artist René Cano said, “Until the problem is solved, there is no other solution we should solve.”
In Matanzas (West) province, where the Verdero seaside resort is located, local authorities on Wednesday announced the suspension of public transport and imprisonment of the population who did not ensure necessary activity.
Cuba on Wednesday recorded 961 new cases, for a total of 82,601 cases, including 442 deaths, a figure much lower than the rest of the American continent.