Man, 24, dies after reports of ‘fight at Wetherspoons’ as murder probe launched

Man, 24, dies after reports of 'fight at Wetherspoons' as murder probe launched

A man died after suffering head injuries following reports of a fight.

The victim, a 24-year-old man who has not been named, was pronounced dead at the scene after officers were called to The Clifton in Sedgley, West Midlands, shortly before midnight on Saturday.

His family have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

Detective Inspector Laura Harrison said: “Our thoughts are with the family of this young man who has sadly lost his life.

“We are in the early stages of our investigations but we understand he may have tried to intervene in a fight when he was fatally injured.”

Did you witness the incident? Email [email protected]

An area of the town has been cordoned off

A blue forensic has been set up in the high street inside a police cordon.

Wetherspoon spokesman, Eddie Gershon, told Black Country Live that the fight happened outside the pub, which slightly goes against the police’s statement.

He said: “The pub’s CCTV shows a group of males by the taxi rank at the side of the pub attacking another male.

The attack happened outside The Clifton, a Wetherspoon spokesperson said
The attack happened outside The Clifton, a Wetherspoon spokesperson said

A large police presence remains at the scene
A large police presence remains at the scene

“The individual managed to get away and ran to the front of the pub where he was let in for his own safety.

“The group then started attacking another male. Once the group dispersed, door staff at the pub went to assist him on the floor putting him in the recovery position.

“We understand that this person died on his way to the hospital.

See also  David Starkey fell due to racist slavery comments by publisher and Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge

The man died on the way to hospital, the spokesperson said
The man reportedly died on the way to hospital

“No members of the group or the two men who were attacked had been in the pub.

“Police have still closed off the road and all access into the  pub, and it will remain closed until forensics have completed their work. Police have viewed the  CCTV from the pub.

“We extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the individual who passed away.”

Anyone with any information can contact officers via Live Chat at  or by calling 101. To remain anonymous, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Please quote crime number 20DY/194445N/20.

You May Also Like

About the Author: Forrest Morton

Organizer. Zombie aficionado. Wannabe reader. Passionate writer. Twitter lover. Music scholar. Web expert.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.