The Foiling Week 2022 Regatta takes place from 30 June to Sunday 3 July, Fraglia Vela Malsessin will welcome over 200 foilers from 21 countries around the world. For the first time in nine editions, the organizers have been forced to impose a maximum registration limit, which confirms the amount the fair is receiving from flying boat enthusiasts around the world.
– advertising –
This year’s absolute record of participants is divided into 5 classes: Moth, WASZP, ONEFLY, ETF26 and Wingfoil.
The moth class, which has always been the queen of foiling week, has registered over 70 registrants and outstanding names such as Ruggero Tita, Nacra gold medalist with Katrina Bunty at the Tokyo 2022 Olympic Games. Brits Dylan Fletcher, gold medalist in the men’s 49er category in Tokyo in 2020 and Paul Goodison, Olympic laser champion in Beijing in 2008 and moth world champion in Malsesin here in 2017.
The WASZP class, which was first introduced during foiling week in 2016, initially has more than 60 athletes.
Designed for full speed and inspired by the 34th America’s Cup multihulls, the 8 ETF26 catamarans will debut this year, programmed for the third time in Foiling Week.
More than 20 athletes are registered in the wingfoil class, a rapidly growing new trend across the board that combines windsurfing, kitesurfing and foiling. You fly over water pulled by a wing with a very light inflatable structure placed on a very compact foil board.
Attendees during the week will have the opportunity to test several foil classes by reservation.
For the innovative Sumoth Challenge project, in its second edition, four boats in the final phase have been submitted by several universities: Polito Sailing Team (Turin, Italy), Rafael ETS Montreal (Montreal, Canada), Soton Sumoth Team (Southampton, UK). ), Polimi Sailing Team (Milan, Italy). An innovative one-year academic project involving the design, planning, engineering and production of a functional and high performance monohull foiling boat inspired by the principles of sustainability and low construction cost.
Fourteen forums scheduled from Thursday 30 June to Saturday 2 July and hosted by Chris J. muzzle Sailing Editor at The New York Times.
Cutting-edge failure, academic design, innovation, sustainability, gender equality and disability will be addressed. Moments where it will be possible to listen, ask questions and meet some of the leading experts in these fields. It will be possible to follow the forums through the individual links below, in case of problems please refer to the links on the website or via Facebook and Instagram.
- 10:00 am – Sumoth Discussion #1 with Polimi and Raphael
- 11:00 am – Sumoth Talks #2
- 12:00 pm – Sumoth 2022 S1 evaluation.
- 2:00 PM – GoPro: Controlling culture, gender balance, fairness of pro foiling events. guest:
- Josie Gliddon – Female Sailor of the Year (Foiling Week Awards), Founding Member Magenta Project, Moth Champion
- Terry Hutchinson – 2 time Rolex Yachtsman of the Year, 11 time World Champion, Skipper of American Magic (America’s Cup)
- Paige Alms – 2 time WSL Big Wave World Champion, Surf Foil Champion
- Mirko Babini – President IKA, Pioneer of the Foil Event
- 0915 AM – Announcement of Special Foiling Week. guest:
- Aaron Young, RNZYS
- Luca Rizzotti, Foiling Week
- Scott Over, World Sailing
- Xu Lijia “Lily”, Chinese Olympic gold medalist
- 10:00 AM – File Everywhere: Commercial/recreational file applications. guests
- Fredrik Falkman – Zesst
- David Tyler – Artemis Technologies
- Sue Putlaz / Anders Bringdal – Mobyfly
- 11:00 am – FileTech: Beyond the load cell, what’s going on in the file? guest:
- Nat Shaver, INEOS Film Designer
- Alice Beavis, TNZ Engineer
- 1:00 pm – e-Foil Influencers: Advancing FoilCraft Innovation. guest:
- Luke Blecha, Jesto
- Robin Amarker, Swiss Solar Boat
- Godart Hardenbrock, Adorados
- Sophie Horn, Brunello Acampora, E1 Racing Bird
- 2:00 p.m. – Forming fixture in foil. guest:
- Simon Wattin, VPLP
- Edward Kearney, Boundary Layer
- Paolo Dasi, bcomp.ch
- Olivier Gluck, Torkido
July 2 :
- 09:00 – Special Guest: #BackTheBid
- Chris Blois, Paralympic kite
- Alessandro Lancelotti, Paralympic kite
- 10:00 AM – Flow: Exploring the Flow State in Foil Piloting (Education/Safety). guest:
- Clarisse Kramer, solo sailor at the Vendée Globe.
- Julia Mancuso, Olympic gold medalist in skiing and surfing/wing foiler
- Charlie “Pooch” Pucharello, former F-14 fighter pilot.
- 11:00 am – Over the Games: Olympic Foiling Fallout (Does Foiling Leave Developing Countries Behind? Is Failing to Open Doors to Women?) Guests:
- Tara Pacheco, Olympian
- Shehar Zubari, Israeli Olympic Coach
- Nura Ruskola, Olympic kite foil activist
- 1:00 pm – NextGen foil lane panel discussion. guests
- Hattie Rogers, Sumoth and the British Foiler
- Pearl Latanzi, Best Young Hawaiian Foiler
- Rowan Guiday, Manta5
- Luca Devotti, FD Switch
- Dave Clark, UFO
- Riley Schutt, US Sailing R&D
- 2:00 pm – Guest of Honor: Dave Kalama, Foil Pioneer
Tonight at 7:30 will be the awards ceremony of the Film Foiling Festival, a film festival dedicated to flying boats, which will be opened by the Roman director to “premier” the out-of-competition “Flying Nikka – The Making of…” . Pierpaolo Lanfrancotti, which traces the origins of the first offshore racing mini-maxi foiler by Italian shipowner and captain Roberto Lacorte. The evening is reserved for spoilers week participants. On Saturday 2 July, it will always be possible to see films from the Foiling Film Festival, with free admission (subject to availability), at the Palazzo dei Capitani in Malaccian.
Tv ninja. Lifelong analyst. Award-winning music evangelist. Professional beer buff. Incurable zombie specialist.