CD Projekt Red buys independent studio for games based on its license

the studio producer cyberpunk 2077 and license witcher, CD Project Red, A bought independent studio jaggery flood, which is now a . will work on new game CD is based on one of Project Red’s proprietary licenses.

CD Projekt Red has announced to investors that it has initially purchased 60% of the Boston-based studio, and plans to gradually buy out the remaining 40%. Molasses Flood will work in collaboration with CD Projekt’s development arm, CD Projekt Red, but all in “complete autonomy”.

New logo for CD Projekt’s new studio, The Molasses Flood. (source: CD Project)

The announcement noted that CD Projekt Red’s new studio, The Molasses Flood, “will work on its own project based on one of CD Projekt Red’s licenses.” So we are moving to a game based on the universes of The Witcher or Cyberpunk 2077.

CD Projekt Red has previously stated that they will be developing the AAA games “The Witcher” and “Cyberpunk” together starting in 2022. It is not yet clear under what license the independent studio will operate, or even if it will be licensed. CD Projekt Red promises to announce more details in the future – an additional project for the games currently in development.

Molasses Flood has confirmed their acquisition Twitter, announcing: “We are going to make a new game based in the universe of one of CD Projekt Red’s existing licenses, we want to recruit a lot more people, and we want to continue to make games on the same principles. Who has always guided us: to create games from the heart based on rich gameplay systems”.

The tweet also confirmed that they would keep their original name, adding “Un Studio CD Projekt Red” to most of their communications.

See also  A security vulnerability in iCloud is reportedly fabricated by Apple

In a separate press release, CD Projekt RED CEO Adam Kisinski says: “We’re always on the lookout for teams that play the game from their heart. Molasses Flood shares our passion for video game development, they are experienced, want to do quality work, and have extensive technical experience. I am sure they will bring a lot of talent and determination to the group.”

The Molasses Flood previously premiered on “The Flame in the Flood” and “Drax’s Hollow”; The two games focused on elements of survival, albeit with very different approaches. The members of Molasses Flood previously worked on BioShock, Halo 2 and Rock Band before starting their own independent studio.

Before there are any new games from them, CD Projekt is still working on PS5/Xbox series updates for Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — both of which have moved their upgraded versions to 2022. Major expansions for Cyberpunk 2077 will be planned at a later date.


Florian Marx is a freelance writer at IGN France.

You May Also Like

About the Author: Tad Fisher

Prone to fits of apathy. Music specialist. Extreme food enthusiast. Amateur problem solver.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *