British Boxing Board of Kovid announces January shutdown amid spikes in business

T

The British Boxing Board of Control has announced a complete halt of incidents under its jurisdiction by the end of the month due to an increase in coronovirus cases.

The body, which oversees professional boxing in the country, said the situation would be reviewed in late January, but in the meantime it would force the postponement of several major fights, including the Battle of Josh. Kelly vs David Avaneshan for the European welterweight title.

BBBofC Secretary General Robert Smith said: “Following the increase in Kovid-19 cases in the UK and these effects on the work of NHS and Council doctors, it has been decided that the Tournament will be under the jurisdiction of The British Boxing Board of Control Under will be a tournament in January 2021.

“There will be a further review by the medical panel and board stewards in January about the tournaments starting in February.”

The onset of the epidemic suspended boxing from last March to July, and since then most events have been held with closed doors.

Anthony Joshua appeared to 1,000 viewers last month in a successful defense of his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles at the SSE Arena in Wembley when the UK government relaxed lockdown restrictions in London.

However, the emergence of a new strain of coronovirus in Britain has led to a rapid increase in the number of cases, reported 57,725 on Saturday.

The BBBofC has previously indicated amid a nationwide lockdown that it is an extreme fear on the NHS at a time when emergency services are under considerable pressure.

See also  A 15-year-old boy has died after falling from a Liverpool car park

Additional report by P.A.

You May Also Like

About the Author: Forrest Morton

Organizer. Zombie aficionado. Wannabe reader. Passionate writer. Twitter lover. Music scholar. Web expert.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *