Belgium floods: at least 31 dead and 127 missing (new report)

The federal crisis center said at a news conference on Monday that unprecedented floods in Belgium last week killed at least 31 people, with 127 still missing.

According to the same source, 54 people were hospitalized after the floods.

The director of the federal crisis center, Bart Rymarkers, said the toll would get worse in the coming hours and days as “127 people are missing or unreachable”.

He also said that the federal police entered the phase of a structured search for victims in disaster areas this Monday.

Raymakers also stated that “one of the most important challenges in the coming days will be to clearly visualize the needs on the ground for the reconstruction”.

Prime Minister Alexander de Cru announced on the sidelines of a visit to the disaster areas later this week that Belgium would request the EU Solidarity Fund to be activated to deal with the widespread damage from the country’s floods.

“First contacts have already been made and it emerges that Belgium has a good chance of being able to benefit from this assistance”, said the prime minister, according to whom the damage should be several hundred million euros.

READ  A former US ambassador to Algiers shoots red balls at Tebboune

You May Also Like

About the Author: Hanley Mallin

Internet geek. Wannabe bacon enthusiast. Web trailblazer. Music maven. Entrepreneur. Pop culture fan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *