14 injured after man attacks them with ‘unknown gas’ in Selfridges

14 injured after man attacks them with 'unknown gas' in Selfridges

Paramedics have treated 14 people for injuries after a man attacked them with an unknown substance in Selfridges.

A man in his 20s has been arrested after two men got into an ‘altercation’ in the store, with one of them spraying the other with a ‘CS gas-like substance’.

Selfridges said some staff members and customers were checked by paramedics for ‘irritated noses and throats’.

One shopper continues to be monitored, although the others have been given the all clear, a spokesman said.

Met police officers were called to reports of a disturbance at the Oxford Street store at just after 1.30pm today.  

Did you see what happened? Email [email protected]

A force spokesman said: “It was reported that a man, in his 20s, had been detained by security staff after he sprayed another man with an unknown substance, which causes similar effects to CS gas.

“The man was arrested on suspicion of affray. He has been taken into custody.

“A group of nine members of the public have been treated at the scene for effects of the spray.

“Officers attended along with London Ambulance Service (LAS). Enquiries continue.”

Photographs appear to show paramedics treating shoppers with water after suffering effects from the ‘gas’.

A London Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called at 1:44pm today to reports of an incident on Duke Street, Marylebone.

“We dispatched a number of resources including an incident response officer, ambulance crews and our hazardous area response teams (HART.)”

“The incident is ongoing and we are working with other emergency services. We have currently treated fourteen people at the scene, with more updates to follow.”

See also  European Vaccine in Chart - How did Britain, France and Germany stack up against each other in the race to get out of lockdown - Express Express

A Selfridges spokesman told Mirror Online that two males were detained in the store after an ‘altercation’, although police are not taking action against them.

They said: “We can confirm the police are in attendance at our Oxford Street store following a short altercation between two males which involved the spraying of an unknown irritant by one of the males; both males were detained and one arrested.

“At this point in time the police are taking no further action and the ambulance service are confident it is a non-harmful irritant.

“A few team members and customers were checked over by the ambulance service for irritated nose and throat, with all but one being given the all clear. One customer continues to be monitored. The store continues to trade as normal.

We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.

Please check back regularly for updates on this developing story here at  Mirror.co.uk.

You May Also Like

About the Author: Forrest Morton

Organizer. Zombie aficionado. Wannabe reader. Passionate writer. Twitter lover. Music scholar. Web expert.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.