Newport County

Review: Newport County 1-0 Cheltenham Town – County remain unbeaten at home with narrow win

Goal: Amond (35′)

Attendance: 2,916

Newport County defeated the Robins with a thrilling 1-0 win at Rodney Parade on Tuesday evening.

Newport County came into this mid-week fixture after being involved in a goalless draw with Wycombe Wanderers on the weekend. The visitors, Cheltenham Town, were also involved in a goalless draw in the weekend themselves, with Yeovil Town.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the night in the second minute of play. After County ‘keeper Joe Day spilled from a corner, the Robins couldn’t quite keep their feet in the box and shot wide of the goal.

County had their first chance of the game in the 14th minute. Matty Dolan picked up Amond’s pass on the edge of the area and was urged to shoot by the crowd. The midfielder did so but the ambitious effort was easily dealt with by Scott Flinders.

County had another ambitious effort two minutes later. Mickey Demetriou picked up a loose ball in midfield and just like Dolan, he was urged to shoot from distance. The defender took a shot but it rolled out wide for a goal kick.

A what-could’ve-been-costly mistake by Newport almost lead to Cheltenham taking the lead in the 20th minute. A misplaced pass by Dolan fell straight to Eisa but the striker failed to capitalise on the error.

In the 25th minute, a whipped cross from Owen-Evans fell to Sean Rigg. However, the winger failed to direct his header on target.

Joe Morrell then came down the wing to possibly crest a chance for Cheltenham. He whipped in a cross to Wright but his shot was deflected out for a corner for The Robins.

In the 36th minute, the deadlock was finally broken. Newport County drew first blood in the cold Tuesday night fixture through their new boy, Padraig Amond. The ball from a corner fell to Ben White who took a shot on goal but the shot fell to Amond at the back post to slot in for 1-0.

Just before half-time, Cheltenham came storming down the wing as they looked to find an equaliser. A cross was whipped in but failed to find the head of Danny Wright.

When the second half kicked off, there weren’t any real chances right up until just before the hour mark. Newport were given a corner and the ball rolled out to Mickey Demetriou just inside the area. However, the bobble on the ball affected the defender’s shot as it sailed way over the bar.

Newport were back at it again as Pipe’s long ball found Amond in the centre of the field. Amond saw the run of Sean Rigg and fed the winger the ball. However, a last ditch tackle by Taylor Moore stopped Rigg from a one on one.

The Robins finally had a moment go their way with 20 minutes remaining as they almost found an equaliser. Captain, Kyle Storer almost headed Cheltenham level but an unbelievable headed goal line clearance from Ben White kept Newport in the lead.

Padraig Amond was played through on goal late on by Ben Tozer. The Irishman saw the Cheltenham ‘keeper off his line and tried to cheekily chip it. However, his effort wasn’t powerful enough and it was easily caught by Flinders.

Deep into stoppage time, Cheltenham almost found an equaliser, a superb low save by Joe Day and a clearance by Demetriou kept Newport in the lead three minutes into additional time.

The whistle finally blew as Newport County took all three points on a cool Tuesday night at Rodney Parade. Cheltenham didn’t make it easy for County but the fighting Robins went home empty handed.

(Featured image courtesy of Newport County AFC)